Saturday, February 14, 2009

Friday 02/13/09 - It's a Trader's Market

Just a reminder that I am updating the Gap Tracker post on a daily basis, and as of now, gaps have been filled on the same day 75% of the time!

This is a great market to be trading in. I personally love trading range-bound days, as long as the range is over 15 points. The ATR over the past 10 trading days has been around 27 points! Beautiful. If, as a day trader, you can't extract a few points from a 27-point day, you need to reassess your trading setups because there are plenty of opportunities on the long and short side in this market. On this end, I stayed on the Sim again and managed to eek out a $600 gain with a few trades. I can't emphasize enough the importantance of having a positive risk/reward ratio, with the minimum being 1:2 (risk:reward). I started the day with a gain, but gave it all back over the next 2 trades. But then on the 4th trade, I made 5 points which made up for the prior 2 losses, and then some. When I looked back at my prior 2 losses, I realized both of the setups did not have 1:2 risk/reward potential so I shouldn't have taken those to begin with, but I got caught up in the momentum and put on those losing trades. The important thing is they didn't do much damage since I was using a 7-tick stop-loss.

The TICK continues to be an excellent indicator. With proper money management (1:2 risk/reward), I'm confident you could make money with just a 1 and 3 min ES/TICK chart. Here's a 1-min chart with a short setup that appeared towards the close. We have negative TICK divergence with a double-top on price (excellent, high-probability setup). I entered short at 830.75 on the spinning top candle.



Gap filled in the morning session (5-min)


ES/TICK (3-min)


ES Market Balance (5-min Day Session Only)


TF Market Balance (5-min Day Session Only)


TF/TICK (3-min)

1 comment:

  1. Your one marked entry looks solid... I say that because I was gonna get short right there as well!

    The One Lot LLC takes another step forward!

    ReplyDelete

At the minimum, please provide your name or Twitter handle when posting comments. Do not post as Anonymous. Comments that contain links to commercial websites will be marked as spam.