Friday, February 20, 2009

Friday 02/20/09 - Options X-Day

It was a volatile trading day, but that also means opportunity so long as there's some order amidst the volatility. On my end, I logged in pretty late this morning, but was able to make a few points shorting the 763 area around 11:30 AM. I then started testing the market to the long side in the 755-757 area around 11:50 till noon. This resulted in a couple of stop-outs, but they were washed with a couple of profitable trades in that area. I then had to step out for lunch, and left an open buy order at 755 with a 6 tick stop. Of course, the buy order got hit at 755 and the trade was quickly stopped out 6 ticks lower. So I missed the low of day by 2.5 points. I had a meeting immediately after lunch from 1:00-1:45 PM, and by the time I returned to my desk, the ES was trading at 773. I was aware of the open gap above at 779, and wanted to short closer to the gap fill. I got a little excited and began shorting the market a little early around the 774 area and took some quick profits and some quick stop-outs. Market was moving around this time; up and down 2-4 points in a matter of seconds. It was pretty cool actually. Thanks to the signals I was getting from my handy ES/TICK chart, I stuck with my short bias and nailed a short at 777, and rode it down for 5+ points wiping out the tiny 6-tick stop-losses and then some.

ES missed the gap fill by a tick, but the market isn't perfect, and I'm gonna count that as a gap fill; it's close enough. Just a reminder, I am updating the Gap Tracker post every evening, and so far we've seen over 76% of gaps filled on the same day!

I know we've seen continued down-side price action, but for some reason, I feel we're gonna fill that open gap above and I am still slightly bullish. As always, biases must be put aside and we must trade in the now moment. Lets see what next week brings. Have a nice weekend!

Gap filled by 2 PM (technically, missed it by a tick)


ES/TICK (3-min)


ES Market Balance (5-min Day Session)


TF Market Balance (5-min Day Session)


TF/TICK (3-min)

1 comment:

  1. I've got a serious case of insanity brewing tonight. If you're around pop on yahoo.

    I think there is a much more simple way for me to work.

    ReplyDelete

At the minimum, please provide your name or Twitter handle when posting comments. Do not post as Anonymous. Comments that contain links to commercial websites will be marked as spam.